Monday, June 4, 2007

These Things Should Come With a Warning Label...oh Wait, They Do!

Some of us, myself included, think we are above the "label law." We think the warning on the side of a package is merely a suggestion, that nothing bad can come from breaking a "label law." I'm here today to tell you that is not the case!

A few months ago Dylan wanted fish sticks for lunch. I was in a particularly lazy mood that day, so I looked at the back of the package to see how long to microwave them. I looked, but I couldn't find the microwave instructions, then I saw in big bold type: "MICROWAVING NOT RECOMMENDED!" As I said I was lazy and Dylan wanted lunch 5 minutes ago, so I popped those suckers into the microwave. I set the time and went to help my hubby move a couch in the basement while the fish sticks cooked.

A few minutes later I went back upstairs to see white smoke shooting out of the back of my microwave. I threw the door open and there were the sticks, shrunk to half their original size and so burnt it looked like I'd pulled them out of the bottom of a fire pit. When they'd finally cooled off I scrapped them off the plate and threw them into the garbage. When they hit the edge of the garbage they made a hollow thud sound because all of the fish meat (if that's what you want to call it) had disintegrated.

After the fish stick incident it stunk like burnt fish for two solid days. On top of that every time I used my microwave for the next two weeks, the smell of burning fish stick would waft through my house! I'm pretty sure this is the reason Dylan will no longer come within 2 feet of a fish stick.

So my friends please don't just read, follow those warning labels. Otherwise you may find yourself in your very own fish sticks of fire incident!

No comments: